It’s the beginning of a new year, and will soon be Studio G’s third birthday, so a good time for a little reflection.
One of the first things we did when we decided to set up our photography business was to think about what our values were, what sort of business we did – and didn’t – want to be. Fortunately, we were both on exactly the same lines, and the result was a statement of our values and ethos, which we put on our website. People have told us that they like this approach, and that it’s quite unusual for a small business to work in this way.
But time moves on, and whilst our fundamental principles haven’t changed, we’ve learnt with experience, and it’s time to re-state – and build on – that statement to reflect our developing thinking and priorities. And this time, we’d like to involve you, our clients and friends, in finalising this piece of work.
So here’s where our thinking stands at the moment – please let us know what you think, whether you agree, disagree or think we’ve missed something. We’re all ears!
Our Values and Ethos
- We believe in the power of photography to improve the lives of individuals, families and communities, by creating and sharing memories, and building self-belief and confidence.
- We will always treat everyone we work with, in any capacity, with respect and dignity, and we will expect the same in return. We will continue to develop and nurture the ‘Studio G family’.
- In our working practices, we recognise the conflicting demands placed on our clients, our colleagues and ourselves. We will always work as flexibly as possible to accommodate those demands, and will always put our own families first.
- We are a family friendly business, and this will be reflected in the work we are willing – and not willing – to do. We do not do work that involves nudity, although we will not judge those who do.
- We recognise that women in particular are often portrayed disrespectfully in photography, and our work will never show women in a less than positive way. Rather, we will strive to portray women as strong and independent and endeavour to use photography to help them feel good about themselves.
- We are supportive of local businesses, particularly SMEs. We will, whenever possible, choose to work with and encourage local businesses.
- We are firmly rooted in the community of Oldham, and we will give what support we can to local community groups and organisations.
- We will do our best to ensure that our pricing is fair and reasonable. We believe in quality over price, and will always produce the best quality we can at the best price we can offer.
- We will seek at all times to conduct ourselves and our business in a professional manner that reflects positively on our industry as well as ourselves.